Saturday, September 18, 2010

Man Thing

There's a lot to be said for starting a picture after a 24-hour stretch of work and a belly full of enthusiasm. I knocked this out in about an hour and a half (I know, because I went though almost two episodes of Maury). Best fun I've had in weeks.
I may have mentioned this before, but my first serious exposure to American Comics was Dr Strange Vs. his Warthog- headed counterpart, and a bumper omnibus of Man-Thing vs. ghost Pirates. Stephen Strange was cool enough, but Man thing was just fascinating: a mindless muck monster who seemed incapable of staying out of the strangest kinds of trouble. It was it's rubbery, boneless, gelatinous quality and that fear-induced corrosive touch that sold me, though.

8 comments:

Tyson Bley said...

I like the idea of a repugnant scary creature getting himself into strange trouble all the time. It's horribly sad: if by inconveniencing others it inconveniences itself.

LEN said...

It's a brilliant conceit- mindless, gooey slacker staggers from one inter-dimensional clusterf**k to another. He's the ultimate victim. Just let him go home to his swamp and he'd be as happy as a clam.

Declan Shalvey said...

Lovely work Len!

Stephen Mooney said...

This is brilliant Len, love it. Favourite part is the dude's expression as he falls victim to the clammy kill-factor.

'a mindless muck monster who seemed incapable of staying out of the strangest kinds of trouble. It was it's rubbery, boneless, gelatinous quality and that fear-induced corrosive touch'

Sounds like our Dec and his adventures in lady-land.

LEN said...

I'm saying nothin', Dec's romantic endeavors are a mystery to me- Thank Christ.

Stephen Mooney said...

Once you spend any real time with him, the mystery will be extinguished, believe me.

He'll loves to lay it on the table. Literally.

Anonymous said...

"an hour and a half" ???
Wow,
Tis you who art thee monster !!!
Makes me wanna sing:
"...SwampThing Lookalike...
You make my Heart sing"
Awesome sKILLS !!!
(see what i did there?)

Bob Byrne said...

I love it Len. And you. I'm on my merry way to Wikipedia now to read what exactly Man Thing is and what powers he has. I always thought he was a man that got radioactive goo on him and he was just strong but Dec's comic he has fire leaping out of him....